ADA-8XR multi-channel modular AD/DA converter
OverviewThe ADA-8XR is a multi-channel AD/DA converter that can be configured in numerous ways using plug-in modules to suit a very wide variety of applications. It can be a 16 channel AD converter, a 16 Channel DA converter or an 8 channel AD/DA converter. It can be a multi-channel FireWire interface, or an AES/EBU / AES3 / SPDIF Digital to Analogue or Analogue to Digital converter. It can act as a high resolution Pro Tools Interface for recording or post-production. Similarly it can work with a wide range of other popular Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) including Logic, Cubase, Nuendo and others. In fact, there's not a lot it can't do when it comes to digital audio conversion.
ApplicationsThe ADA-8XR is the top professionals' converter of choice in the most exacting applications in music and sound recording, mastering, broadcast and post-production. Offering the cleanest and most transparent conversion available, the ADA-8XR is ideal for producers, engineers and songwriters wanting to produce top-quality results when recording, tracking & overdubbing, mixing to stereo or surround, mastering and monitoring. The ADA-8XR is perfect for recording vocal, single instruments, drums or orchestra and is just as much at home providing multiple outputs for external analogue summing. It is in use in the top studios around the world as well as being used in numerous film sound tracks.
Design PhilosophyThe ADA-8XR takes the philosophy of the widely-acclaimed Prism Sound converter range a stage further: Now, the goals of ultimate sound quality, unbeatable performance and un-matched versatility have been realised in a modular multi-channel, 24-bit 192kHz-capable format. The ADA-8XR provides A/D and D/A conversion and the essential digital interfaces with a stereo monitor mix output in digital and analogue formats.
Clocking and SynchronizationUnlike most other converter systems, the ADA-8XR is ideal as a master clock for your entire system, whether running from its precision internal reference or from an external source. No external clock source can improve the performance or influence the sound of the ADA-8XR. In addition, the ADA-8XR can run in Pro Tools Loop Sync mode, or lock to AES3, AES11 or Wordclock. The ADA-8XR delivers your recordings with perfect transparency, whatever the setup.
Configuration optionsThe ADA-8XR is a modular system and this provides great flexibility when creating systems with larger numbers of channels. Whether you need just a few channels of high-quality conversion or large a multi-track setup, the ADA-8XR is the natural choice. Using combinations of the basic system options and the range of digital interfaces you can build the system that perfectly matches your requirements. For more detail see the ADA-8XR Configurations section.
- Up to 16 channels of state-of-the art 24-bit, 192kHz conversion in one great-sounding 2U package.
- Choice of 8AD plus 8DA; 16AD; 16DA or D-D only configurations.
- Dual-path architecture allows independent operation of two 8-channel paths:
- Each path (bank of 8 channels) can be assigned to either record or play functions;
- Each path can have independent clock references at different sample rates if desired;
- Each path is independently configurable;
- Each path can drive analogue and digital outputs simultaneously if desired
- Allows Source Monitoring with simultaneous A/D and D/A conversion.
- Electronically balanced, transformerless, galvanically isolated XLR analogue inputs and outputs ensure freedom from noise pick-up and crosstalk, with software-controlled balance and line-up;
- Prism Sound 'Over-killer' selectable on analogue inputs: the best-sounding gentle limiting for louder masters - with no 'overs';
Digital Interface options
- AES3,S/PDIF up to 192kHz. Handles & converts 2-wire formats for 96k and 192k;
- FireWire - for direct connection to DAW software on PC or Mac;
- Pro Tools|HD - replace 192IO/96IOs; up to 32 channels in and out per Digi Core/Process card;
- Pro Tools|24 MIX - direct connection in place of 888|IO;
- DSD - for SACD production, with SDIF2/3 and optional MAC-DSD (Cat5); also allows sample-rate-conversion between any PCM rates;
Clocking and synchronisation
- Ultimate Prism Sound clock-stability and jitter-rejection for crystal-clear imaging, with independent multiple PLLs for A/D and D/A paths;
- Locks securely to an external reference working stand-alone or with DAWs.
- 8-channel LED bargraph with peak hold and status monitoring, switchable between paths.
Monitoring and other features
- Stereo monitor, with headphones and analogue line AND digital S/PDIF outputs, can monitor any input or output pair, or a panned stereo mix of all eight channels;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'SNS' noise-shapers for ultimate quality 16-bit & 20-bit transfers;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'MR-X' word-mapping for lossless recording up to 24-bit, 96kHz on standard DA-88 or ADAT MDMs, or other 16 or 20-bit media;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'DRE' for 24-bit performance on 16-bit media WITHOUT losing tracks;
- Intuitive user interface, provides fast access to all I/O and processing functions; with continuous display of all settings;
- Noise-shaping, MRX or DRE processing functions can be also be carried out in 'D-D' mode, including conversion between different digital interface formats;
- Modular construction allows upgrading of all input and output cards (INCLUDING A/D, D/A, and DSP boards); no need to worry about future converter advances or new interface standards;
- Internet-upgradeable software - loads from your PC or Mac into 'flash' memory inside the ADA-8XR;
How To...Set up ADA-8XR for use with FireWire...
Configure an ADA-8XR Pro Tools HD system...
Configure an ADA-8XR DSD system...
Use an ADA-8XR with a Pro Tools HDX system...
Use an ADA-8XR with a Pro Tools Mix system...
Analogue Input ModuleA/D converter, 8-channel, line input. Part no. 8C-AD Analogue line input, XLR connectors, with 'Overkiller' progressive fast-acting overload limiter.
Analogue Output ModuleD/A converter, 8-channel, line output, Part no. 8C-DA. Analogue line output, XLR connectors.
Digital I/O module: AESPart no. 8C-AES, Transformer-coupled AES I/O on DB25 connector 1.5m break-out lead to male and female XLRs.
Digital I/O module: Pro-Tools|Mix™Compatible with Digidesign Pro Tools|Mix™, Part no. 8C-PT, Digital module, cable not supplied.
Digital I/O module: Pro-Tools™IHDCompatible with Digidesign Pro Tools™|HD. Part no. 8C-PTHD, Digital module, cable not supplied.
Digital I/O module: Pro-Tools™IHDXCompatible with Digidesign Pro Tools™|HDX. Part no. 8C-PTHDX, Digital module, cable not supplied.
Digital I/O module: DSDFor SACD applications, Part no. 8C-DSD Digital module, SDIF 2/3 I/O on DB25 connector 1.5m breakout lead to BNC connectors included
Digital I/O module: FireWire/IEEE 1394aImplements IEC 61883-6. Part no. 8C-FW Digital module, 2 x 6pin IEEE 1394a. Cable not supplied.
Digidesign, Pro Tools, Pro Tools 24|MIX, 888|24 I/O, Pro Tools|HD, 192 I/O, 96 I/O, SYNC I/O and
DigiLink are trademarks of Digidesign, a division of Avid Technology Inc.
ADAT is a trademark of Alesis Corporation.
TOSLINK is a trademark of the Toshiba Corporation
Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Apple, Macintosh, Core Audio, FireWire and OS X are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
The Thunderbolt icon and logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation
All trademarks acknowledged