ADA-8XR multi-channel modular AD/DA converter
||Deezle on the ADA-8XR|
Producer Darius 'Deezle' Harrison shares his love for our ADA-8XR multichannel interface at NAMM 2013
||Uli Frost on the ADA-8XR|
We catch up with drum specialist Ulrich Frost at NAMM 2013 who waxes lyrical about our ADA-8XR multi-channel converters.
Third Party Videos
||Doctor Mix Review|
Video review of the ADA-8XR courtesy of Doctor Mix
The ADA-8XR is the top professionals' converter of choice in the most exacting applications in music and sound recording, mastering, broadcast and post-production. Offering the cleanest and most transparent conversion available, the ADA-8XR is ideal for producers, engineers and songwriters wanting to produce top-quality results when recording, tracking & overdubbing, mixing to stereo or surround, mastering and monitoring. The ADA-8XR is perfect for recording vocal, single instruments, drums or orchestra and is just as much at home providing multiple outputs for external analogue summing. It is in use in the top studios around the world as well as being used in numerous film sound tracks.
The ADA-8XR takes the philosophy of the widely-acclaimed Prism Sound converter range a stage further: Now, the goals of ultimate sound quality, unbeatable performance and un-matched versatility have been realised in a modular multi-channel, 24-bit 192kHz-capable format. The ADA-8XR provides A/D and D/A conversion and the essential digital interfaces with a stereo monitor mix output in digital and analogue formats.
Clocking and Synchronization
Unlike most other converter systems, the ADA-8XR is ideal as a master clock for your entire system, whether running from its precision internal reference or from an external source. No external clock source can improve the performance or influence the sound of the ADA-8XR. In addition, the ADA-8XR can run in Pro Tools Loop Sync mode, or lock to AES3, AES11 or Wordclock. The ADA-8XR delivers your recordings with perfect transparency, whatever the setup.
The ADA-8XR is a modular system and this provides great flexibility when creating systems with larger numbers of channels. Whether you need just a few channels of high-quality conversion or large a multi-track setup, the ADA-8XR is the natural choice. Using combinations of the basic system options and the range of digital interfaces you can build the system that perfectly matches your requirements. For more detail see the ADA-8XR Configurations section.
- Up to 16 channels of state-of-the art 24-bit, 192kHz conversion in one great-sounding 2U package.
- Choice of 8AD plus 8DA; 16AD; 16DA or D-D only configurations.
- Dual-path architecture allows independent operation of two 8-channel paths:
- Each path (bank of 8 channels) can be assigned to either record or play functions;
- Each path can have independent clock references at different sample rates if desired;
- Each path is independently configurable;
- Each path can drive analogue and digital outputs simultaneously if desired
- Allows Source Monitoring with simultaneous A/D and D/A conversion.
- Electronically balanced, transformerless, galvanically isolated XLR analogue inputs and outputs ensure freedom from noise pick-up and crosstalk, with software-controlled balance and line-up;
- Prism Sound 'Over-killer' selectable on analogue inputs: the best-sounding gentle limiting for louder masters - with no 'overs';
- AES3,S/PDIF up to 192kHz. Handles & converts 2-wire formats for 96k and 192k;
- FireWire - for direct connection to DAW software on PC or Mac;
- Pro Tools|HD - replace 192IO/96IOs; up to 32 channels in and out per Digi Core/Process card;
- Pro Tools|24 MIX - direct connection in place of 888|IO;
- DSD - for SACD production, with SDIF2/3 and optional MAC-DSD (Cat5); also allows sample-rate-conversion between any PCM rates;
Clocking and synchronisation
- Ultimate Prism Sound clock-stability and jitter-rejection for crystal-clear imaging, with independent multiple PLLs for A/D and D/A paths;
- Locks securely to an external reference working stand-alone or with DAWs.
- 8-channel LED bargraph with peak hold and status monitoring, switchable between paths.
- Stereo monitor, with headphones and analogue line AND digital S/PDIF outputs, can monitor any input or output pair, or a panned stereo mix of all eight channels;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'SNS' noise-shapers for ultimate quality 16-bit & 20-bit transfers;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'MR-X' word-mapping for lossless recording up to 24-bit, 96kHz on standard DA-88 or ADAT MDMs, or other 16 or 20-bit media;
- Built-in Prism Sound 'DRE' for 24-bit performance on 16-bit media WITHOUT losing tracks;
- Intuitive user interface, provides fast access to all I/O and processing functions; with continuous display of all settings;
- Noise-shaping, MRX or DRE processing functions can be also be carried out in 'D-D' mode, including conversion between different digital interface formats;
- Modular construction allows upgrading of all input and output cards (INCLUDING A/D, D/A, and DSP boards); no need to worry about future converter advances or new interface standards;
- Internet-upgradeable software - loads from your PC or Mac into 'flash' memory inside the ADA-8XR;
Analogue Input Module
Digital I/O module: Pro-ToolsIMix™
Digital I/O module: MDSD for SACD applications
Pro Tools|HDX is a trademark or registered trademark of Avid Technology. Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
Digidesign, Pro Tools, Pro Tools 24|MIX, 888|24 I/O, Pro Tools|HD, 192 I/O, 96 I/O, SYNC I/O and DigiLink are trademarks of Digidesign, a division of Avid Technology Inc.
TOSLINK is a trademark of the Toshiba Corporation
Direct Stream Digital, DSD, MAC-DSD, SuperMAC and the DSD logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
Super Audio CD, SACD and the SACD logo are joint trademarks of Sony Corporation and Philips Electronics N.V
Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Apple, Macintosh, Core Audio, FireWire and OS X are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
Sonic and HDSP are trademarks of Sonic Inc.
All trademarks acknowledged